Uses Of Neodymium Magnets
Neodymium magnets are used for many purposes. They are used in industries, commercially and can even come handy around the house. Neodymium magnets are also used in the Medicine and Health fields for a large number of purposes.
Industrial Uses Of Neodymium Magnets
- Neodymium magnets are often used in machines made for the health industry.
- They are also used for magnetization, to make magnetic separators,magnetic filters and for magnetic ionization.
- The security industry uses them for alarms and switches, security systems.
- Neodymium magnets are also commonly used in the hard drives of computers, in telephonic applications, in television and video applications and for chip detectors.
- Neodymium magnets are also very popular in the manufacturing of generators. Generally the stronger the magnet the better the generator.
Medicine & Health Uses Of Neodymium Magnets
- Neodymium magnets are very popularly used for magnetic therapy to help alleviate the symptoms and relieve pain caused by health problems like arthritis. They have high healing ability and often called healing magnets as well.
- NASA uses Neodymium magnets for the purpose of maintaining muscle tone in astronauts during space flights.
- Neodymium magnets are used in MRI scanning machines.
Educational Purposes of Neodymium Magnets
- Neodymium magnets are very popular with students of advanced Physics for experimentation and research purposes. Their small size but high strength makes them easily stored and carried.
Using Neodymium Magnets As Handy Tools Around The House
- Neodymium magnets in really small sizes make great toys not only for kids but adults as well. The possibilities are endless and the fun just doesn’t end.
- Neodymium magnets are often used as oil filters to separate any iron fillings or other metal chips from the oil.
- Neodymium magnets also work great as metal detectors – whether you want to use them as stud finders to find nails in the wall, search for nails under your flooring or just find the nail
you dropped under your bed somewhere.
- You can even use Neodymium magnets to hold things in place. You can hold down tarps to cover your machinery and cars. You can make a tool belt for yourself using Neodymium magnets creatively or eve hold a doll’s pacifier to her mouth!
- You can also use a pair of Neodymium magnets to make yourself clip on earrings, jewelry clasps and hold name tags in place on your clothing without having to stitch them on.
Hard disk drives
A hard disk drive records data by magnetising and demagnetising a thin film of ferromagnetic material on a disk. Each disk is separated into many tracks and sectors and each sector has many tiny individual magnetic cells which are magnetised by the drives read/write head when data is written to the drive. Hard drive heads are made from ferrite wrapped in a fine wire coil. When writing, the coil is energised, a strong magnetic field forms, and the recording surface adjacent to the gap is magnetised. Strong magnets are also used in the actuator that moves the read/write head into position.
Crafts and model-making
Neodymium magnets are very popular among craft enthusiasts and model-makers. Because they are so powerful, even a tiny magnet can generate enough magnetic pull to be effective. They are the magnet of choice for everyone ranging from miniature war gaming enthusiasts for configuring models used in games such as Warhammer to people who make handmade stationery and cards.
Although not clinically proven, many people believe that magnets can relieve pain by subjecting parts of the body to magnetic fields produced by permanent magnets. Because of their strength, neodymium magnets are a popular choice for believers in magnetic therapy.
Using magnets to hang artwork is an extremely popular solution both for professional galleries and exhibitions and homemakers. Small neodymium magnets are capable of supporting a substantial weight, even in a shear position and means that even large pieces of artwork can be swiftly swapped and changed.
Thus, Neodymium magnets have a wide variety of uses and thanks to their low cost and application friendly attributes, they are very popular.